Spring Roll recipe for an easy and tasty appetizer
Last Modified On: Wednesday, 03/April/2013 19:09:39pm
Back to Appetizers
1. Soak Chinese dried shredded black mushrooms (wash dirt before soak) and mung bean noodles until soft, then cut mung bean noodles into short lengths about 2". Drain mushrooms and set aside.
2. Peel garlic and carrot skin, wash garlic, carrot and mung bean sprouts, then mince garlic and shred carrot.
3. Heat oil in a wok on medium heat. When oil is hot, add minced garlic and fry until fragrant, then add ground pork.
4. Stir fry until ground pork cooked through, then add shredded carrot and Chinese dried shredded black mushrooms.
5. Season with thin soy sauce, seasoning soy sauce, oyster sauce and sugar. Stir fry all ingredients together, then add mung bean noodles and mung bean sprouts, mix thoroughly, and let filling cool before filling spring rolls.
6. Prepare each spring roll as "Preparation for wrapping", then heat oil in a wok on medium heat, then oil is hot, deep fry a few spring rolls at a time until crisp and golden. Drain on paper towel.
Preparation for wrapping
1. Place one spring roll wrapper on cutting board, position wrapper like a diamond with one point facing you. Place about 3 Tbsp of filling in a log shape across the bottom about 2" from the lowest corner.
2. Fold the bottom corner up over the filling and tuck it behind the filling. Roll the packet up once to enclose the filling securely. Then, fold the left and right corners to the center.
3. Roll the packet and press down firmly to seal, forming an envelope. Finish rolling up, sealing the top corner with paste (by mixing 1 Tbsp tapioca flour in 2 Tbsp water, stir and heat in microwave about 15 seconds, and stir again). It's now ready to deep fry.
Preparation for dipping sauce
Mix sugar, salt, and water in small bowl. Heat in microwave about 30 seconds until sugar dissolved. Add vinegar, crushed chillies, 2 Tbsp shredded carrot, and stir together.
Tip: Sweet chicken sauce can be used as a quick dipping sauce by adding vinegar and salt to get three flavours.
Serve spring rolls hot, whole or cut in third, with dipping sauce.