Mixed Vegetable Spicy Soup
Yummy Thai spicy mixed vegetable soup called "Kaeng Liang"
Last Modified On: Thursday, 24/November/2011 20:00:12pm
Back to Curries and Soups
1 sponge gourd (sing gua) (200 g.)
¼ Japanese pumpkin (kabocha) (300 g.)
200 g. baby corn
1 banana flower (500 g.)
50 g. lemon basil
5 cups water
¼ cube chicken broth
3 Tbsp fish sauce
2 tsp sugar
||Spice Mixture Paste Ingredients
2 tsp whole black pepper
150 g. cooked prawn
1 ½ tsp shrimp paste
1. Cut pumpkin into pieces; remove seed, peel and wash. Then cut into small pieces.
2. Peel sponge gourd (sing gua), wash dirt, pat dry and cut into pieces.
3. For banana flower, peel some hard petals and remove bunch of small flowers, wash, cut in half and finely slice.
4. Mix 2 Tbsp lime juice with 2 cups water in a large bowl, then soak sliced banana flower in it and set aside. After that pick only lemon basil leaves and slice baby corn.
5. Peel shallots, wash, pat dry and cut into small pieces, then cut krachai into small pieces and set aside.
6. Peel cooked prawn shell, devein and cut into small pieces.
7. Put all spicy mixture paste ingredients except cooked prawn in a mortar and well pound until all ingredients mix together.
8. Add cooked prawn and well pound to mix together.
9. Pour water in a pot, bring to boil on medium heat, add chicken broth cube and spice mixture paste, stir well and wait until the soup is boiled again, then add cut pumpkin.
10. Boil for 5 minutes, drain sliced banana flower and put in it, stir well and bring to boil again.
11. Add sliced baby corn and cut sponge gourd, then stir well.
12. Season with fish sauce and sugar, stir thoroughly and taste as your own flavor.
13. When the soup is boiling again, add lemon basil, stir well and remove from heat.
14. Spoon mixed vegetable spicy soup in a bowl and serve immediately with lime juice and sliced fresh chilies as your choice.