Egg Noodles with Chicken Curry Sauce
Egg noodles recipe from northern part of Thailand call "Khao Soi"
Last Modified On: Friday, 25/November/2011 04:58:59am
Back to Noodle
400 g. chicken breast
1 package egg noodles
1 package pickled mustard
2 Tbsp red curry paste
1 Tbsp curry powder
2 Tbsp thin soy sauce (or fish sauce)
1 Tbsp sugar
1/4 cup ginger
1/4 cup cut shallot
1 sprig cilantro
1 can coconut milk
3 cups water
1/2 cup oil for deep-frying
2 Tbsp oil for stir-frying
Preparation for curry sauce
1. Wash chicken breast and cut into small slices. Peel ginger skin, wash dirt, cut into small pieces and well pound in a mortar. Then add red curry paste and pound until well blend.
2. Heat oil (for stir-frying) in a wok on medium heat. When oil is hot, add pounded curry paste, and stir until fragrant. Add cut chicken breast, stir until the chicken breast is getting cook, add curry powder, stir thoroughly.
3. Divide about 1/4 cup coconut cream (top portion of a can) in a small bowl. Add coconut milk about 1/4 cup at a time in curry paste, stir constantly until chicken breast is cooked, then add the rest of coconut milk.
4. Let the mixture simmer about 10 minutes, add water, season with thin soy sauce (or fish sauce), and sugar. Bring the mixture to boil and remove from heat.
Preparation for side serving
1. Peel shallot, wash dirt, and cut into small dices. For pickled mustard, rinse, and slice into small pieces
2. Pour 3 cups water in a pot, bring to boil on high heat, then add pickled mustard, and let it boil about 10 minutes. Drain, rinse in cold water, place in a bowl, add about 1 Tbsp white vinegar, and mix thoroughly.
3. Pour 5 cups water in a pot, bring to boil on high heat, separate egg noodle loosely then add into boiled water, and boil until the noodles cook. Drain and rinse in cold water. Then add about 2 Tbsp vegetable oil, and mix thoroughly so they don't stick together.
4. Heat oil about 3 Tbsp in a wok on medium heat. When oil is hot, add 1 Tbsp grounded red chillies, and fry about 1 minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. Heat oil about 1/2 cup in a wok on medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add about 1/2 ball of loosely egg noodles, and deep-fry until golden brown and crisp. Remove from heat and drain on paper towel.
6. Heat divided coconut cream in a microwave about 1 minute. Wash cilantro, pat dry, and cut only leaves for sprinkle.
Put the egg noodles in a bowl, pour curry sauce, add sliced pickled mustard and diced shallots, top with crispy egg noodles, cilantro leaves, and coconut cream. Serve hot with a piece of lime and oiled chillies.