Boiled Chicken on Rice
Popular one plate dish call "khao Mun Kai" that usually served for lunch
Last Modified On: Friday, 25/November/2011 04:26:30am
Back to One-Plate Dishes
800 g. chicken thigh or breast
3 cup uncooked jasmine rice
1/2 tsp salt
6 slices ginger
3 Tbsp minced garlic
2 sprigs cilantro
7 cups water
Ingredients for sauce
3 Tbsp thin soy sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce
2 pieces wet bean curd
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp white vinegar
3 Tbsp minced ginger
2 fresh chillies
Preparation for boiled chicken and cooked rice
1. Wash chicken, trim excess skin, and cut into small pieces for oiling.
2. Peel garlic and ginger, wash dirt, mince garlic, and slice gingers.
3. Put chicken skin in a pan on medium heat. Stir regularly until oil come out from skin, fry until skin golden brown and crisp. Remove skin from oil, add chopped garlic and fry until fragrant.
4. When garlic is lightly brown, pour fried and oil into cleaned jasmine rice. Add salt and sliced gingers.
5. Pour 5 cups water in a pot, bring to boil on meduim-high heat. Add chicken thighs and turn heat down to low. Let broth simmer. When oil appear on surface, spoon an oil into the rice.
6. Add about 3 cups the broth into the rice. The ratio of rice and water is one to one. Stir thoroughly and cook in a rice cooker as usual.
7. Add additional 2 cups water into the pot. Let the broth simmer about 45 minutes or until the chicken thighs are cooked. After that, remove all chickens from the broth, discard bones, pound chicken meat with knife 4-5 times. and slice into pieces.
Preparation for sauce
1. Peel garlic and ginger, remove chillie stems, wash dirt, and pat dry. Mince garlic and ginger, finely slice chillies, and place all of them in a mixing bowl.
2. Season with thin soy sauce, dark soy sauce, wet bean curd, sugar, and white vinegar, mix thoroughly, and taste for your own flavour. Serve in a small bowl with boiled chicken and cooked rice.
1. Cut cilantro stems, peel cucumber skin, wash, and pat dry. Finely slice cilantro and slice cucumber into 1/4" thick.
2. Season the chicken broth with thin soy sauce and sugar, taste for your own flavour. Spoon the broth in a small bowl, sprinkle with finely sliced cilantro and ground pepper.
3. Put rice on a serving plate, top with sliced boiled chicken, and garnish with cilantro leaves. Serve with sliced cucumber, a small bowl of sauce and a bowl of chicken broth.