Boiled Stuff Bitter Gourd with Shitake Mushroom Soup
Bitter Gourd that is not bitter in this soup called "Mara Tun Hed Hom"
Last Modified On: Wednesday, 14/December/2011 16:13:36pm
Back to Curries and Soups
2 bitter gourd
200 g. seasoning ground pork
3 dried shitakae mushrooms
1/2 cube chicken broth
2 Tbsp thin soy sauce
1 Tbsp seasoning soy sauce
1 tsp oyster sauce
2 tsp sugar
4 cups water
Ingredients for seasoning ground pork
200 g. ground pork
1 tsp oyster sauce
1 Tbsp thin soy sauce
1 tsp seasoning sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp ground pepper
1. Season ground pork with oyster sauce, thin soy sauce, seasoning soy sauce, and ground pepper. Mix thoroughly and set aside.
2. Soak dried shitakae mushrooms in 2 cup water for 30 minutes or until soft. When mushrooms are soft, press out all water (keep mushroom water for making soup), cut stems, and slice into 1" length.
3. Wash bitter gourd, cut both ends off, and slice into 2-3 sections about 2" lengths. Scoop out the seed and the white fluff part.
4. Sprinkle salt all over the sliced bitter gourd (inside and outside), leave them for 30 minutes (this process will get rid of bitter taste), then rinse in water. Stuff each section of the bitter gourd with the seasoning ground pork (do not over-stuff), then place a toothpick in the middle of eash piece to prevent losing pork.
5. Pour water in a pot, bring to boil on medium-high heat, add chicken broth cube. When the soup is boiling, add stuffed bitter gourd, sliced shitakae mushrooms, and mushroom water.
6. Season with thin soy sauce, seasoning soy sauce, and sugar, stir well, and allow to boil. Reduce the heat and simmer on low heat for 6 hours or until soft. Do not cover the pot. (If the soup stock reduces too much, add more water, season with soy sauce and sugar, then taste as you like.)
7. When the bitter gourd is soft, remove from heat, put the soup in a bowl, remove toothpicks, and serve immediately.