Spicy Chicken in Rice: Khao Mok Kai
Spicy chicken in rice that is yummy with fragrant yellow rice and tender chicken called "Khao Mok Kai" in Thai
Last Modified On: Friday, 25/November/2011 04:40:59am
Back to One-Plate Dishes
7-8 chicken thighs
3 cups uncooked jasmine rice
2 Tbsp butter
¼ cup Half & Half or evaporated milk
2 ½ cups water
¼ cup vegetable oil
||Ingredients for seasoning mix
2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp grounded coriander seed
½ tsp cumin powder
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp cinnamon powder
2 bay leaves
||Ingredients for sauce
2 green onions
3 sprigs cilantro
¼ cup ginger
1 long cayenne pepper
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
¼ cup vinegar
1 Tbsp water
1. Wash chicken thighs, pat dry, and pierce with folk all over the thighs.
2. Mix all seasoning ingredients in a small mixing bowl, divide into 2 parts, bring one part to marinate with chicken and add half & half in the bowl.
3. Stir all ingredients together and marinate chicken for 1 hour or overnight.
4. Peel shallots, wash dirt, pat dry, finely slice, and separate into 2 parts.
5. Add oil in a wok and place on medium heat, add shallot, fry in hot oil until fragrant and crisp, drain on paper towel.
6. After marinated time, heat 1 Tbsp oil and butter in a wok, when the butter is melt, add sliced shallots.
7. Stir fry until the shallot is getting cook, add marinated chicken, fry both side of chicken until almost cook, remove from wok.
8. Add the second part of seasoning mix in a wok, stir well, then add cleaned jasmine rice, and fry thoroughly.
9. Put stir-fried rice in a rice cooker, add water and chicken, and then cook in the rice cooker as usual.
Preparation for sauce
1. Mix sugar, salt, and water in a pot, stir regularly on medium heat until sugar dissolves, remove from heat, then add vinegar, and stir well.
2. Cut onion and cilantro roots, peel ginger, and remove pepper stem, wash dirt, pat dry, and coarsely slice, then put them in a blender.
3. Well blend all vegetables and add in the pot, stir well and taste for your own flavor. Serve in a small bowl with spicy chicken in rice.
Put rice on a serving plate, top with chicken, and garnish with fried shallot. Serve with sliced cucumber, a small bowl of sauce.