Five Spices Boiled Ham with Rice
Popular one plate dish with tendered ham called "Khao Ka Mu"
Last Modified On: Friday, 25/November/2011 04:46:36am
Back to One-Plate Dishes
1 pork shoulder shank portion or fresh ham
4 hard-boiled eggs
5-6 garlic cloves
1 Tbsp whole black peppercorn
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp star anise powder
½ tsp five spices powder
1 Tbsp black soy sauce
6 Tbsp thin soy sauce
2 Tbsp oyster sauce
2 tsp salt
¼ cup palm sugar
3 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
5 cups water
||Ingredients: Chilies & Vinegar Sauce
5-6 fresh chilies
½ tsp salt
¼ cup vinegar
||Ingredients: Side Dish
1 pack sour mustard
cilantro leaves for garnish
1. Wash pork shoulder shank or fresh ham and pat dry. Heat oil in a large pot on medium heat, when oil is hot, add pork shoulder shank or fresh ham to fry.
2. Season with 1Tbsp oyster sauce and thin soy sauce, fry until both side turn golden brown, then add water.
3. Add all ingredients except palm sugar and sugar, stir well until all ingredients dissolve and simmer for 45 minutes.
4. Peel eggs and put in the pot, reduce heat to low, cover with lid and simmer for 1 hour.
5. Add palm sugar and sugar, stir well and simmer for 3-4 hours or until tender. Meanwhile, turn the ham regularly.
Preparation for chilies & vinegar sauce
1. Remove chili stems, wash dirt, pat dry, then cut into small pieces and coarsely pound in a mortar.
2. In a small bowl, add salt, pounded chilies, and vinegar. Stir well until salt is dissolved.
Preparation for side dish
1. Slice sour mustard into small pieces.
2. Pour 3 cup water in a pot, bing to boil on high heat, then add sliced sour mustard, and let it boil about 5 minutes. Drain, rinse in cold water, squeeze water out, and place them on a plate.
Put rice on a serving plate, top with five spices boiled ham and pour some soup over as you like. Serve with a slice of hard boiled egg, sour mustard and chilies & vinegar sauce. Garnish with cilantro leaves.
Or serve only five spices boiled ham like this.